During the mid 1800’s, Tollcross was a very rural area, and its Catholic population was a very small. The people were initially served by St Mary’s, Abercromby Street from 1842, before St Paul’s Shettleston took over in 1857.
The Very Rev Canon Mc Brearty established a school here in 1874, but it was not until 1893 that Tollcross was established as a separate mission. The opening of a chapel-school in the London Road, Old Monkland, took place in 1865. The chapel school was opened by Bishop Maguire, Auxiliary Bishop of Glasgow. Unfortunately, this building only lasted for 9 years, before being destroyed by fire. The congregation, however, piously gathered around an open air altar erected by Fr. Kirk, before a wooden hut was made ready. This served as the parish and a school for 2 more years.