St Joseph’s, Tollcross 1893-present

During the mid 1800’s, Tollcross was a very rural area, and its Catholic people was a very small population. The people were initially served by St Mary’s from 1842, before St Paul’s took over in 1857. Very Rev Canon Mc Brearty established a school here in 1874, but it was not until 1893 that Tollcross was established as a separate mission, and the opening of a chapel-school in the London Road, Old Monkland took place in 1865, by cropped door stjBishop Maguire, Auxiliary Bishop of Glasgow. Unfortunately, this only lasted for 9 years, before being destroyed by fire. The congregation, however, piously gathered around an open air altar erected by Fr Kirk, before a wooden hut was made ready. This served as the parish and a school for 2 more years.

During the mid 1800’s, Tollcross was a very rural area, and its Catholic people was a very small population. The people were initially served by St Mary’s from 1842, before St Paul’s took over in 1857. Very Rev Canon Mc Brearty established a school here in 1874, but it was not until 1893 that Tollcross was established as a separate mission, and the opening of a chapel-school in the London Road, Old Monkland took place in 1865, by Bishop Maguire, Auxiliary Bishop of Glasgow. Unfortunately, this only lasted for 9 years, before being destroyed by fire. The congregation, however, piously gathered around an open air altar erected by Fr Kirk, before a wooden hut was made ready. This served as the parish and a school for 2 more years.
The present parish of 3,000 has over 200 volunteers to aid the congregation in celebrating their Catholic heritage today.